oh, would you look at that, turns out I’m not dead yet!!!
surprise surprise Suhani is back! *and may or not disappear for a few weeks again because of procrastination!!*
But hello, hi, and welcome! I’m currently behind on reading, school, and everything else in general, so I have decided to reminisce about the past few months when my life was NOT A MESS.
Ah yes, I remember the days when I was actually on track with my reading goal and was a good student submitting all my homework on time… (fyi that facade lasted for about a week, I hope you all are proud that I managed to be such a great person for that long 😤) and now here I am once again consuming too many chocolates and procrastinating AT EVERYTHING. IN OTHER NEWS I DID NOT FAIL EIGHTH GRADE AND I’M IN HIGH SCHOOL NOW ??? IT’S WEIRD BUT PRETTY FUN! ( except the actual studying part of course *puke* )
Anyways I thought I would sort of do a huge wrap-up of the past few months because I haven’t done a monthly wrap-up in so?? long??? SINCE JANUARY TO BE EXACT WHICH IS A RECORD EVEN FOR ME. I also have NO POST IDEAS ( why am I like this ) so this was the easiest one haha. Without further ado let’s look at how I had my life together for a month or two!!! (okay fine maybe it was for two days BUT LET ME HAVE MY MOMENT PLEASE-)
yes, I haven’t made a wrap-up since February don’t judge me – 😭✋ February was the first month (*cough* and last *cough*) a made a proper “monthly tbr” for myself and as expected I didn’t finish it!! Go me!! I won’t lie but my reading skills went completely downhill from here- after reading eight books in January, I read four books in February ( one of which was a short story too-) so it’s safe to say that I will only ever be a one-hit-wonder siGh~
Anyways let’s review the FOUR books I read due to my pathetic abilities!!!
1. To Kill a Kingdom– I picked this up because – ENEMIES TO LOVERS??? PIRATES???? FANTASY!!! and after finishing the unforgettable enemies to lovers fantasy that was the cruel prince I COULD NOT RESIST. It disappointed. A lot more than expected. I did not like the characters at ALL, they’re fine I guess but so… basic? I didn’t see a lot of interaction between both of them and the enemies-to-lovers aspect of this was non-existent tbh. I initially gave this 4 stars because I tried so hard to love it but lowered it to three stars at the end.
2. The Crown’s Game– I really enjoyed the Russian setting of this book, and the author did such a wonderful job with the descriptions! The plot was reallyy basic though, and Vika and Nikolai have no chemistry whatsoever loll. the insta-love KILLED ME ugh, I wish the romance was much better developed overall! ALSO THAT ENDING????? I NEED THE NEXT BOOK AHHH!!
3. We are not free– HELLO NEW FAVOURITE ALERT! this is an incredibly plotted historical fiction and the topics were discussed so well!! I cried a LOT after that ending though :’) But one problem I had was that my teensy tiny brain did not have the capacity to remember half of the characters so I was a bit hassled by all the perspectives, BUT THEN AFTER I FINISHED IT I REALISED THERE’S A GUIDE TO ALL THE CHARACTERS IN THE BEGINNING???? WHY CAN MY BRAIN RETAIN NOTHING??? also a huge thanks to the amazing Rachel for screaming along with me after I broke down reading that ending <3!!
4. The lost sisters– a very short story that I may have only read to catch up with my Goodreads goal ( shh don’t tell anyone about my malicious ways ) and I know this is sort of supposed to be Taryn’s redemption arc justifying why she is such an idiot but it made me hate her much much more in actuality. Moral of the story? I am a lonely cold being devoid of a heart, who is unable to feel empathy for others!
I had my finals this month which WERE HELL as made evident by the insane amount of ranting in my previous post, but the good news is that I passed and did not get disowned, ( made it to a 95% average, so winging it was a great decision ahem ) but that still does not excuse the fact that I read BARELY ANYTHING!!! AGAIN!! but I found some new favorites AND reread heartstopper so it’s a win for me mwahahahaha
1. Not my problem– I LOVED this book with all my heart- Aideen? The most amazing, sarcastic, and hilarious mc EVER(no one will be able to top her from now on); Kavi– THE CUTEST CINNAMON ROLL TO EVER EXIST I LOVE HIM WITH MY WHOLE HEART, I NEED A WHOLE BOOK FROM KAVI’S PERSPECTIVE PLEASE ( would anyone like to sign a petition with me for this and make Ciara Smyth grace us with a kavi book?), and Meabh, probably my favorite character of them all- perfect on the outside but overworked and stressed and having an internal crisis?? Yes, I’m here for it!! Ciara Smyth’s writing is one of the most marvelous things I have ever experienced and I just want to go and reread this whole thing again because I AM IN LOVE OKAY! just knocked off 0.5 from my rating because I wanted a bit more in the ending, I felt it left off a bit abruptly and just needed some more closure, but I might change it to a 5 later when I proclaim my love for it once again in a few days !! Thank you, Anoushka for convincing me to read it, and fangirling alongside me hahaha!!!💖
2. The Dream Thieves– this was so good??? I think I may have even enjoyed this more than the first one!! my main problem with these books though is that they take so long for me to trek through, I sometimes end up getting bored at the end! It didn’t exactly help that this was mainly focused on Ronan, perhaps my least favorite character so far?? and there was almost NO NOAH which made me so sad 😭 BUT THE WRITING AHHH IT WAS CHEF’S KISS. I’m looking forward to blue lily, lily blue because I’ve heard people say that it was their favorite out of the series!!!
3. Station eleven – A fun not so fun story~ This was in the adult section in our library and I’ve never actually browsed that section before, BUT I was in dire need of procuring this book so I made my way to the adult section AND WHY WAS EVERYONE STARING AT ME??? Was it due to the overflowing stack of books I was holding and the fact that I could topple over at any moment? no.. right??? Or was it the cupcake diaries books I had just borrowed 💀 I didn’t ever go to that section after that because people are so judgy eughhh, BUT THIS BOOK AHH. IT’S FABULOUS IN EVERY SINGLE WAY!! a post-apocalyptic world very similar to the virus we experience AND good characters!! 100% worth the read.
4. Heartstopper Volume 1 – as expected I fell trap to the enormous amount of hype this book was getting and decided to reread it! I originally read the entire series through webtoon sometime last year and I barely remembered anything ahhh 😭 BUT THIS WAS OF COURSE ADORABLE IN EVERY WAY!!! WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE CUTENESS OF THIS BOOK. also, also- THE TV ADAPTATION???? IT WAS SO PERFECT??? I’LL TALK ABOUT IT MORE SOON BUT I ALREADY CONVINCED HALF OF MY FRIENDS FROM SCHOOL TO WATCH IT ( I’m trying to persuade them to read the comics first don’t worry, but unfortunately they’re dead set on watching the show only 😭😭😭 )
5. Heartstopper Volume 2– MORE NICK AND CHARLIE YAY!! even though this had all the magic and whimsicalness you’d see from an Alice oseman piece of literature, this is probably my least favorite comic from all four of them. I think it was lacking a bit in plot and was just present as the buildup for the third one.
6. A darker shade of magic– buddy read this with the amazing olive queen herself! And Suhani has found herself a new favorite fantasy series!! this was everything it promised it would be. the entire setting with the four parallel Londons was so well written and immersive AND KELL, OH MY GOSH I LOVE KELL. one of the best fantasy worlds ever>>>>>
7. The red-headed league– forced and tortured into reading this by the education system so zero stars 💀
I !! read !! books !! can you believe it, because neither can I. Look, were more than half the books I read this month short stories??? yes. Are we going to silently proceed to ignore that and act like Suhani was totally on top of her game and ahead of her Goodreads goal in April?? yes. yes we are
I’m going to ignore including my thoughts on the short stories right now because I’m really tired but I have reviews for most of them on my Goodreads!
1. Heartstopper Volume 3– Paris Gang>>>> I LOVE how we got to see so many more of the characters, plus the Paris trip was so entertaining to read!
2. Heartstopper Volume 4– AHH THIS ONE MIGHT BE MY FAVOURITE ??? the discussion of mental health was so well done aksjs. Alice, please release the next volume now.
3. A gathering of shadows – I’m really conflicted on how to feel about this one.. there’s basically no plot in the first half but the ending was utterly mind-blowing so I think it very much qualifies as just a ‘filler sequel’. I feel like the main action only came during the tournament part which was also very short-lived?? I wish that we at least got to see more of that because overall it just felt a bit out of place. But needless to say, I enjoyed reading this and the characters have all my heart!!
4. A conjuring of light – THIS BOOK???? IT BROKE ME TO PIECES??? EXCUSE YOU I WILL SOB EVERY TIME I EVEN THINK OF THIS?? one of the best finales EVER this simply deserves a bazillion stars. one thing I didn’t like was *SPOILER!!* Lila being an antari. I completely enjoyed how she didn’t have any powers but finding out that she actually did..?? that really disappointed me 😦 oh well, it was still simply phenomenal in every single way AHH.
5. Perfect on Paper – I am not kidding when I tell you that everyone I know has read this AND I FELT LIKE I WAS MISSING OUT ON THE SOPHIE GONZALES HYPE SO I SCRAMBLED TO READ THIS. and let me tell you IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! a wonderful contemporary with lovable characters and a pretty darn awesome plot, this was just the pick-me-up I’d been looking for!
6. Red, White & Royal Blue – unpopular opinion alert!!! I hated this!!! * tires screeching and collective gasps* I didn’t like the plot (or rather lack of??) and the enemies to lovers was so underwhelming, plus the entire political aspect of this book which constituents over 70% of the book) bored me to death and made me want to throw my book across the room around a million times. And this is coming from someone who enjoys politics and government discussion in general. Two stars for Alex and Henry ONLY because they were the only things that made me read this till the end.
7. The song of Achilles– yes, I sobbed like a baby and may have had a mental breakdown at 1 a.m., what about it??
8. Solitaire- I FEEL LIKE I’M DISHONOURING MY ROLE IN THE ALICE OSEMAN FANCLUB BY DISLIKING THIS 😭 but I do feel that this was more of an “it’s me not you” situation. I didn’t enjoy tori that much through this, and maybe it was because I was not in the right mood to be reading it, but perhaps I’ll give it another go in a while! ( because I do not want to feel like a fake alice oseman fan *ahem*)
I haven’t been watching too many shows or movies lately because I seem to just not have the attention span to concentrate ??? but here are some of my favorites from the past couple of months!
- Heartstopper- ah yes, heartstopper, also known as THE BEST BOOK TO TV ADAPTATION EVER, AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED IT????? I love how we got to see more Tara and Darcy and also Issac is the cutest cinnamon roll EVER! and don’t even get me started on Tao and Elle! I really liked how the show shined an emphasis on our side characters as well along with a lot of focus on the best ship ever- Charlie+Nick!
- The lost city- Okay so maybe this wasn’t the best movie in terms of plot but you know what? It was just so fun and hilarious! I went out to watch this went my friends AND IT WAS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE! It was the perfect nonsensical movie to get me to truly relax and enjoy ahhh!
- Modern Family- YES YES AND YES! the characters are THE BEST and every single episode has me laughing! the family dynamics are so much fun to watch and it reminds me a lot of how chaotic my own family is! 1000% recommend!
- west side story- THIS MOVIE!!!! HAS MY HEART!!!! after watching it snag so many Oscars, I caved in and watched it – BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE???? I THINK SO!
The past few months have just been me listening to overly emo music and falling back into my musical theatre phase again. Rest assured I’ve been listening to the Arctic Monkeys EVERY SINGLE DAY??? and I do not regret a thing!!! I love 505 ( THAT WAS THE BIGGEST PLOT TWIST I’VE HEARD IN A SONG ) and I wanna be yours. I’ve also fallen in love with Eloise who’s so underrated?? go listen to her music please she’s an amazing lyricist!
so what has been going on in my mess of a life??
- School- HIGH SCHOOL TO BE PRECISE, and let me tell you it’s a whole lot better than middle school already! I may have overwhelmed myself with the number of subjects I’ve taken but hey at least they’re all pretty fun? (*EXCEPT FOR SCIENCE OVERALL BECAUSE SCIENCE IS JUST 🤮*) but I have NO free time nowadays all thanks to the excruciatingly painful amount of homework I receive every day.
- MY MOM WENT TO INDIA AND GOT US ALL SWEETS! CAN YOU SENSE MY EXCITEMENT??? I LIVE for Indian sweets, they’re all so delicious!! We do get quite a lot of them where I live BUT WHEN THEY’RE FRESH FROM INDIA IT JUST FEELS DIFFERENT.
- SUMMER!! MANGO SEASON!!! H O L I D A Y S !! READING!! I love summer because it’s one of the few times when I’m actually free so since my holidays are coming up ( TWO MORE WEEKS TO GO ), I increased my reading goal to 150 books!!! yes, it is a bit too ambitious coming from me but I THINK I CAN DO IT. most of my friends are traveling so I’ll be a social outcast hibernating in my room all day so I might as well make most of it!
- I got a polaroid camera for my birthday and I am just OBSESSED. I click pictures very frequently nowadays AND THE CAMERA ITSELF IS SO AESTHETIC AND VINTAGE-Y. (photos below!!)
- I started reading a webtoon after SO LONG around two days back after reading Janhavi’s wonderful post AND I FINISHED OVER HUNDRED EPISODES IN TWO DAYS?? I used to read webtoons a lot in the past year and I do think I’m relapsing into my webtoon era again! if you’re wondering which one I read it was the remarried empress and let me tell you IT IS WORTH ALL THE HYPE. drama was promised, and drama was received.
- THERE ARE SO MANY NEW RELEASES I NEED TO GET TO??? I kissed shara wheeler, bravely, family of liars, AND SO MANY MORE?? I’d love to buddy read these with anyone if you’re interested!!
YES, you have indeed reached the end of this deliriously long post, and thank you so much for reading the whole thing!!
Anyways how have you been??? THOUGHTS ON HEARTSTOPPER PLEASE?? What are some overhyped books that you think don’t live up to their full potential??? Any books you’re excited to read this summer? ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS THIS SUMMER?? (mango eating must be on your list)
I hope you enjoyed this post and see you next time!